By Theodore Shoebat
The title is misleading. The Communist buildings were built upon monastery churches that the communists demolished in 1929-30. Restoration is what is being suggested!
Putin has suggested removing two old Kremlin buildings that were built over monasteries destroyed by the communists. As we read from one report:
Russian President Vladimir Putin has suggested pulling down a Kremlin administrative building due for renovation and restoring two ancient Orthodox monasteries that previously occupied the site. Putin made the comments in a recent conversation with Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin about the fate of the Kremlin’s Building 14, located between the Spasskaya Gate and the Senate Palace.
Demolition order for recent history? Building 14 is a relatively recent addition to the Kremlin ensemble. It was built by the architect Ivan Rerberg in 1934 on the site of two monasteries – the Chudov and the Ascension – that were demolished in 1929 and 1930. Many churches were blown up at that time all over Russia as the government sought to do away with Orthodox houses of worship and imagery, which were incompatible with the communist ideology of the new state. Originally, major repairs were planned for the building.
However, the president is now convinced that demolition will be more expedient than renovation.